Saturday 26 January 2013

New music I’ve been listening to: January 2013

Cor, that’s January almost done then. Where the hell did it go? Not that I’m complaining, mind. This shitty weather is not particularly uplifting.

Anyway, I feel like I’ve been listening to and writing a tonne about new music lately. January, for all it’s ills, is not a bad month to spend time indoors getting your lugs wrapped around the first crop of albums in 2013.

 My track of the month is Teleman’s rather wonderful Cristina. I’ve had it in my head since I first heard it at the turn of the year and I can’t see it going anywhere quick. Finally my penchant for the braw Pete and the Pirates has new outlet.

Album-wise, I’d have to say the best thing I’ve heard so far this year is the L. Pierre record, which probably won’t suit everyone’s tastes, but it includes some of Aidan Moffat's finest work, post-Arab Strap.

I am definitely finding myself being swayed, quite surprisingly, by the Dutch Uncles and Everything, Everything LPs. With all these math-pop ensembles, Manchester seems to be having a bit of an identity refresh at the moment. Which I guess is no bad thing.

Anyway, here’s a taster of the (new) tunes that have been spinning around my head this month…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cor?

Billy said...

You need to read the beano...