Tuesday 12 February 2008

A late night's tale...

So, it's quite clear my promise of regular postings on all things melodic hasn't quite rung true. This is, in part, down to the fact there simply aren't enough hours in the day and, as I'm sure I've mentioned before, I can be a bit of a lazy swine at times. But I do promise there are things afoot that are of interest to the more discerning music connoisseur - interviews with Elle S'Appelle, Black Kids and (the brilliant) Cave Singers as well as some reviews of the new Guillemots, Malcolm Middleton and Thee Silver Mt Zion records...

I realise that's probably more of a tease to be honest and an infuriating one at that so here are few things I've been listening to over the past few days to keep you entertained.

This first lot are called Tiny Little Hearts and, well, they are one of the most discordant bunch of reprobates I've heard since Uncle John & Whitelock sadly departed. Granted, it's just guitar drones and screaming but fuck me if it aint rather brilliant. They also have the mighty Park Attack added as a 'friend' on their Myspace site which makes sense as they are of that senseless, freakoid punk'n'roll ilk too.

In the twee stakes I've been enjoing Antarctica Takes It! quite a lot. I have actually reviewed the record recently but, again, nowt can go up here until it runs 'in print'. But check out the myspace, they're vaguely reminiscent of Belle & Sebastian if they were a collective of mariachi-swaying migrants.

And finally, The Whitest Boy Alive's record Dreams has been continually fizzing around my I-pod when not having to listen to the music people pay me to listen to. It's truly one of last year's great, great albums and if this blog was more of a fan blog than a half-arsed, self-gratifying jizz-fest from a semi-skilled music hack then it would have definitely bigged them up (I'm going ghetto colloquial today) back in October. As it is, I have mentioned TWBA for the first time in February, a mere five months later. Well done me.

Right, I'll try do this more often. I wouldn't keep my fingers crossed though.

No comments: