Monday 4 February 2008

Interview: Simon Breed

Okay, So much of the stuff I put on Spins and Needles is taken from my work for Drowned In Sound as you may or may not have noticed. So, I don't really consider this as much of a blog as say this one or this one, but I guess what it does do is give more bands and artists an opportunity to be heard in some sort of way - that's not to say I'm gloryfying my importance, I just think that such outlets provide a good platform for people to stumble upon artistic and musical gems you might not pay any attention to on a real website. Most of the time, I don't expect much reaction to many of my lesser-known artist articles at DiS so by posting them here, I dunno, I feel like it opens up a backdoor for someone to walk through and marvel at an unexpected find.

Anyway, I ramble...

What made me think of this was my recent interview with Simon Breed (which can be found here if you'd rather skip this part). Simon, is an artist I very much admire; someone who's introverted, fragilic sense of melody and snake-bitten lyricism sends ripples into the pools of despondency lying dormant in the mind's unburrowed caverns. Yet, for all his talent, few have paid much attention to his music and even fewer have taken the time to interview him. It may be because he's a cantankerous bugger - blunt of word and sharp of tongue - but he hasn't received the adulation his wonderous records deserve and throughout the interview a sense of defeatism manifested itself into his words to the point I thought he may be on the verge of sacking music all together.

I suppose I would have posted this anyway - like I say I'm an admirer of him in all his awkward, meandering glory - but, to me, people like Simon Breed are the reason blogs are created and un-subbed words are written. This might not make a difference to what becomes of Simon Breed, nor any artist who graces mine or the millions of other blogs, but it must be reassuring to know that somewhere out there in the hyper-linking stratosphere of electronic traffic someone still cares enough to write about you...
So enough of this cuntish musing. Here's the interview. Buy his records, go see him....he's very good even if it seems I do say so myself.
...

It’s not often I pay any attention to the flurry of PR mailshots that filter through my inbox on a daily basis - most accentuate the virtues of humdrum bands to within an inch of a call to the Advertising Standards Agency for fraudulent claims of grandeur. Yet when the blurb for Simon Breed’s mini-album The Filth And Wonder Of... [review
here
] trickled into that pixilated postbox with decrees of Cave-esque atmospherics, a ripple of intrigue ensured an imminent, if sceptically-tinged, acquisition.



But the moment Breed’s prowling, stain-glassed psalms furrowed their way into these lugholes any lingering doubts were immediately quelled. A pricklesome wreath of menace and alienation, The Filth And Wonder Of... juxtaposed striking lyricism against spacious, stillborn melodies that captivated and provoked an array of emotional extremities. New record The Smitten King Laments finds Breed further progressing such expertly-crafted vicissitudes with a deluge of quietly convincing, slow-blooming cuts that should finally bring this understated tunesmith in to the pit of the public’s conscience.


So, before the release of this spell-binding long-player, DiS catches up with the frighteningly articulate and exceedingly humble Simon to discuss the album, Italian adulation and whether us music hacks have a role in the modern world…


- - -


The Smitten King Laments has been well received thus far, that must be quite relieving for you?
Simon Breed: Yeah of course - it’s quite a humbling thing for someone to take the time out to listen and pay that much attention to [the record]. So far they’ve all been okay but it’s the press ones I’m most worried about. To be honest with you, I try and tell the record label [Re-Action Recordings] not to send me reviews at all because when there are ones that get it wrong - when they’ve missed it and come out with some dismissive judgement - I go into a rage. Maybe I shouldn’t be telling you that.


Probably best I know these things for future reference. You’ve been recording and playing on your own now for about a decade. Has there ever been a time you’ve thought, “Fuck it, this music lark isn’t for me”?
SB: I have moments like that all the time but I don’t know whether it’s through stubbornness, or ego, or stupidity that I’ve just carried on doing it. I used to be in a band that was very much a ‘band’ band and I was able to write what I wanted and how I wanted. But what can I say? I suppose I don’t work hard enough at it; it’s just what I do.


So, do you see yourself primarily as a musician or a songwriter?
SB: Neither really. I’m not good enough to call myself a musician; I’m fairly ham-fisted in all my musical abilities and songwriting is equally a real craft. In the post-punk way, I’m just somebody who makes his own little lump of plasticine into something mildly interesting. I’m not really a songwriter and I’m not really a musician but I make music and I write songs, so in the simplistic way of thinking I guess I am both of them.


But with the gaggle of pitiful male artists currently infiltrating the airwaves there’s a possibility you could be deemed yet another snivelling singer/songwriter. Do you feel like you've had to work harder to win people over because of this?
SB: It’s not something I worry about. I suppose it’s kind of awkward because I fall between two stumps, in a way, as I don’t see myself as a singer/songwriter or an acoustic artist but I keep having to do those kind of gigs. If I play singer/songwriter nights people are shifting in their seats slightly because the subject matter is a little uncomfortable… I don’t mind doing them as long as they don’t mind me deliberately fucking it up for them and upsetting people in the front row. If people are there for some aesthetically bland, pleasant sort of bathing session I know I’m in the wrong place.


Well, you seem to be winning the Italians over with consummate ease [Simon has developed a cult-like following in Napoli]. What is it about you that appeals to our sun-blushed Mediterranean chums?
SB: I think it’s luck and chance, but there’s also a different approach to music in both Italy and Spain. It’s less of a big deal in a way - you don’t have to be the next big shit, and people are prepared to just enjoy the idea they are in a performance. The thing that stuns me most is that they lap up any sort of poetic dexterity, they’re intrigued by wordplay and will spend hours translating lyrics they don’t necessarily get. And, well, fuck it; it’s economics. It’s absurd, but it’s cheaper for me to get an Easy-Jet and tour around Napoli because I get better fees, better wine and the audiences are more appreciative than here, so it makes sense.


You had me at the promise of better wine. Anyway, DiS recently discussed gateway artists – y’know the ones who initially got you into music but perhaps don’t pull your strings today. Any embarrassing skeletons stashed away in Simon Breed’s closet?
SB: There’s no-one I’m really embarrassed by. The truth is I copy lots of stuff from people I really admire whether it’s intentional or not. When I was younger it was Sonic Youth and the Birthday Party, but there’s millions really. I think I spent six months pretending I was Julian Cope and I trailed around Nick Cave like a sad acolyte for years but he was okay about it. I’m an enormous fan of Bill Callaghan, too. I’m always disappointed when his shows end.


Apparently there’s a Facebook group that’s branded you ‘Jeff Jarvis’ in tribute to your likeness to Messer’s Buckley and Cocker. Is that irksome at all?
SB: I think it’s really funny - they’re a really lovely bunch of kids. It’s their nice way of saying you’ve got a lovely voice but you’re a bit of a big geek. I suppose if you wear the big glasses you will inevitably get the Jarvis comparisons – I think Jarvis is fantastic but I’m not copying him at all – and I’ve never ever set out to copy the old Buckley warble, I’ve just always sung like that. There aren’t really that many people in that group but they just appreciate what I do and don't treat me with kid gloves and have a bit of a laugh with it. I should be so lucky to be as talented as either of them.





- - -

- - -


What lures me most to your records is the overwhelming focus on narrative and storytelling. How important are both in your songwriting process?
SB: I’m far too fussy and limiting on myself that I’m only happy with a song if I feel the words and some sort of musical motif are there at the same time. It’s a cross I have to bear, but I can’t carry a song unless I think it has some kind of meaning, which probably pisses people off to some extent. The narrative thing is a habit I’ve fallen into where there is some form of linear narrative and some kind of story going on that helps me structure the stuff. I’m starting to shift away from it and am trying to see if I can create a set of sensations and specific filmic moments without having to go, ‘Once upon a time... you set it up, you get emotional, you move to the middle eight and you see what happens at the end of the story’.


For all the beautiful imagery there is also some pretty vitriolic moments lurking in your tracks. Who exactly is 'Cunts, Pricks, Wankers and Shits' aimed at?
SB: It was about someone I cared about preciously who had gone through an every day humiliation in the office space. I guess it’s all about revenge. There are some kinds of unfairness’s that are inherent in society and I think you have to draw a line and say “No”. It’s supposedly offensively titled, but I found it so confusing that in this day in age – with bands called Fuck Buttons and Monkey Twat or whatever – I didn’t think that any one would care. It’s ultimately a love song in anger that says to that person, “They are unacceptable, we will not put up with anything else from them”. That’s my politics, I guess.



Has anyone walked out when you’ve played it live?
SB: I think a lot of people cover their ears and flinched. It kind of depends where you play really – it’s a geographical thing. When I played it in Glasgow thousands and thousands of women were singing along heartily by the second chorus – they got it.


Somehow, that really doesn’t surprise me – those Weegies are a bit more rough and tumble than us fragile Edinburgers. So, do you perform with a live band or is it just you out on your own?
SB: Well there’s been a pool of musicians I’ve played with over a number of years but it’s always been with two other people. Currently, I’m playing with Sarah Peacock on piano, who used to be in shoegazing legends Seefeel, and I’ve just started using a new drummer called Giles Narang who’s also in They Came From The Stars I Saw Them. I always want some dynamic in [the live set], but I can enjoy playing it solo, and in a way that can be just as powerful as I can let rip a bit more. But I’m really conscious of providing an audience with more than just my groaning voice, stupid words and three chords, because I know that’s not enough.


A number of tracks on the new record use vivid animal imagery to convey emotions. Is there any particular reason for this?
SB: Well, I do seek solace in David Attenborough quite frequently. No, at one point the album was going to be called Animals At War, just because they kept cropping up. I just think it’s funny and I go with them, and there’s plenty more where they came from. There’s probably a technical literary term for using animals as pathos but it just seems to fit. 'Snipes' was one that just stuck with me when I was up in an extraordinarily bleak place on the Norfolk coast standing in a little bird hut where Bill Oddie types observe seabirds. It struck me that every bird had a name that was associated with depression, like a snipe or an egret, and it just seemed like the poor guys had been lumbered with it.


According to the PR blurb you’re a comic editor - that makes it quite easy for us hacks to draw parallels with your music's vivid lyrical imagery. Is this a valid assertion?
SB: [Slightly exasperated] Yeah, this has ended up in the press release which is all very fascinating because reviewers have decided, “obviously his day job has gone into his work as he’s writing comic nonsense”. But in reality it’s the other way; I can’t make money from music so I have to have a job that allows me to pay for making music. It’s funny you press people like to have that little bit of extra flavour. You can’t just say “he makes music”; you have to say “in his day job he’s a clown that attacks trees”. You have to come up with all this stuff that titillates people into listening to the music. It’s one of those little tricks where having the perfect backing story is part of promotion – it’s kind of grotesque.


Um, right… [DiS immediately stops writing about the correlation between Simon’s music and his day job]. Whilst researching for our chat I attempted to uncover some previous interviews with you but couldn’t find any. Is this because you're inherently distrustful of the press?
SB: It’s not because I’m some sort of recluse – it’s just no one seems interested. But I’m my own worst enemy in that respect. I should really say I’m doing the whole Nick Cave ‘I don’t like writers’ thing.


But, on the basis of this interview at least, your answers are a hell of a lot more intelligent and considered than many of the cliché–riddled bands that knock on DiS’s door.
SB: Maybe that’s why [the music press] don’t talk to me? Holger Czukay [of Can fame] used to say: “Why do music journalists want to talk to rock bands? Because [the bands] are idiots.” What the media would like bands to do is reproduce the thing they want them to be; they don’t want to engage in any sort of dialogue or say anything constructive.


Sometimes I think you have a point there. So, do you think music journalists are still relevant in the modern age?
SB: There’s no way you’ll die out. As long as people are interested in music and artists there will always be a need for journalists. It’s just going to be a little more fractured and the market will become more diffuse where everything is going to become smaller and smaller. I don’t think you will disappear because people will always want to discuss and debate it but it’s doubtful it will be on the kind of level of Lester Bangs. There's not going to be that kind of cultural significance; no music journalist is going to have a high position in culture again because it’s all so fragmented. Of the dozen reviews [of The Smitten King Laments] I’ve read so far there has been some lovely writing that showed an amount of application that stunned me when pulling apart the words and structure. So you won’t die out but you will find yourself on smaller web pages as everything fragments further.


Hmmm… those years at journalism school aren’t looking so big and clever after all. Finally, what do you hope to achieve in 2008?
SB: I would simply love to afford to be on the road and do a lot of concerts and get to that level where I don’t have to constantly fight. I’m in the position at the moment where I’m out of breath and barely keeping my head above water just to get to the level where I can find the people who will enjoy my music. I don’t want to impose it on anyone I just simply want to find the people who will like what I’m doing. Hopefully some of the convoluted madness I’m trying to convey on this record will get through to people and mean something to them.


- -


Simon Breed’s The Smitten King Laments is released through Re-Action Records on February 11 and will be reviewed on DiS later this week. His MySpace can be found here and you can catch him live at the following venues over the course of the next few months:




February

16 London Anti-Folk Festival @ 12-Bar Club

28 London Acoustic Suicide @ the Gladstone



March

6-15 Napoli Italian Tour – venues TBC



21 Edinburgh Voodoo Rooms

22 Glasgow Nice ‘n’ Sleazys


April

6 London The Windmill




- - -



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

People like JC and myself may have an established and loyal audience, but it's not that extensive. We can do our best, but I think that if a band ever wants to really make waves they need to attract the attention of someone like yourself with a bit more reach.

We can be as passionate as we want, but I am not convinced we have the readers to be all that influential. I think both of us will be looking to change that a little in the new year, but for now, anyone who can give a band access to the kind of readership that DiS can boast can make a massive difference to their prospects.

Billy Hamilton said...

I agree with you that DiS does have a sway - certainly much more so than blogging - but I often find myself wondering how many people read all the features, reviews and how many people just go straight to the stuff they like/know.

I guess that's the difference between on-line sites and tangible 'zines. i would force myself to read everything because it was there and always find someone i'd never heard of who would intrigue me. but these days the onus isn't on you to find these bands, it's turned full circle and now the band must grab you or you may never hear about them. so for more reticent artists like simon it becomes more and more difficult to be heard - interview or not( i think this may have been his first national interview in 10 years of playing).

Anyway, it's 6:45 and i have to leave the house...but i think you may do your blog a disservice. im always amazed at the number of people i end up talking to about yours.

Unknown said...

There's not much I can really add to both of the above comments. But watch me.

My audience is never more than 400 on any given day...and I know probably half or more come in almost every day.

Matthew is right - the printed press remains far more influential and neccesary than blogs. And beside, when was the last time I punted anything new. I'm the definitive 'we'll never have an era like the 80s again' blogger.

As for magazine and the points from chimpy-chompy. I am one of those saddoes who will read it from cover-to-cover. BUT...and its a very big BUT.....I find now that I buy mags only if there's a feature on someone/somthing I like. I'm not the sort to take a chance nowadays (getting on a bit you see and more tight-fisted with it).

Oh and one final comment. Yours is a truly splendid blog.